Monday, July 04, 2022

Me On A Monday - July 4th

Good Morning.  Canada Day was celebrated quietly by us, although there was lots of firework displays all around us.  The Best & longest (& safest) was put on by the Halton Hills Fire Department at Fairy Lake.  The fireworks were let off over the lake which doubled the spectacular display - the lake reflected the fireworks.

From The F/B Community Group Page

Currently Crafting: I have made & delivered half of the 56 cards needed for my "project" of sending some happy mail to seniors living in a long term care residence in our community. I used the same outside greeting, A Cheery Hello To You, as well as the same inside greeting, Thought You Could Use Some Sunshine Today,  but changed up the papers & card base colours so that each card is just a little different from each other.  I did have one card that I had to make in French as the resident is reverting to her first language & isn't remembering any of her English. Thankfully I create within a supportive group of stampers, so I was able to get hold of the same greetings in French.

Next up in crafting is my Christmas card creations in two July sessions - my intention is to get all my Christmas cards done in these two sessions, or at least a good lot of them.

Currently In The Garden:  for the first time in what seems like forever, my climbing rose has produced more than one flower bud.  A total of 4.  I also discovered that horrible nasty, but beautiful, Japanese Beetle on  my David Austin rose ... out came the Safer's Insecticidal soap, gone are the beetles.

Currently Reading: a book about Ikigai, The Japanese Secret To A Long & Happy Life. I'm also reading Joshua Becker's book, Things That Matter.  Both, IMO, are a little dry.

Currently Signed Up: for an online workshop mid July,  on The Secret Language of Flowers. It will talk about how the Victorians used flowers to send declarations of love & other messages.

Currently SPSH - don't forget that next Monday, July 13th is our first link in for the 2022 SPSH. 

And I will leave you with this thought ... that those seemingly random encounters are really not so random as we think.

From The F/B Community Group page



18 comments:

  1. The fireworks look spectacular - and the refections make them doubly pretty.
    What a kind thought to make those cards, I bet they were very gratefully received.
    I need to get a move on with my photos - hoping to tick some off while I am away but will try and remember to schedule a post for the few I have got so far before I leave. I always look forward to seeing the updates along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get away on your trip & hopefully there will be lots of opportunity there for finds for the SPSH. I am not a big fan of the noise of fireworks ...but the skill to capture these spectacular displays amazes me.

      Delete
  2. Our Fourth of July celebration will be much different than expected. My sister-in-law was the victim of a scam, so when we arrived at the cottage on Saturday we discovered that it was rented to someone else, and there is little recourse. The scammers are professionals, and it's unlikely they'll be "caught." Since food was already purchased for 10 for the week, we're rotating dinners among three of us each night this week. They'll be here tonight, but there's no good place to view fireworks. We envisioned being on a boat (luckily the rental was refunded) watching the fireworks on the lake. The point was to be together, so that's happening although the venue is quite different. I've got a few photos for the first link-up, hoping to get more next week when we're away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen I am so sorry to hear this, not the way you wanted to celebrate but what a great Plan D. I look forward to seeing what ever photos you get posted for the SPSH. With all that is going on, it certainly is a challenging list (col).

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was a busy week with some lovely things still to come. Thanks for the reminder re the Scavenger Hunt link up next Monday ... I have finally made a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have finally engaged in my OLW of Return, more to come on that ... yeah to SPSH.

      Delete
  4. Fireworks are fun but dangerous and best left to the professionals. And it's been sooo dry this June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of division in the community over fireworks because of what we now know about animals & people having bad reactions to the noise (mostly) & some the lights. Our community has no rules about fireworks & hence why we have 3 nights of fireworks, mostly in back yards. Grrrrrrr

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reminder. I have ideas for a few more photos for the SPSH so I need to get on and take them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing what you find for the SPSH

      Delete
  6. Happy (belated) Canada Day! Those photos of the fireworks displays are great! Fireworks are illegal in my city, but, you would not have known that if you were in my neighborhood these past several days! People have been asked not to set off fireworks because, with our ongoing drought, the risks of setting fire to something is so great, but, those pleas have fallen on deaf ears! I am expecting quite a noisy evening, today!

    Well done on making all those greeting cards for the seniors! I am sure they are appreciated. I really like your plan to get started on your Christmas cards in July! I am going to try to do that, myself!
    I have a few photos for the SPSH - need to get them ready for the link up!
    Hope you have a lovely week ahead of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems of late the fireworks are being fired at each other, at cars at the police ... I wouldn't be too sad if a ban was put in place on fireworks except for the professional displays. I am using very simple designs for the senior cards & I'll probably go that route for the Christmas cards. :)

      Delete
  7. What a nice card project to undertake - and going the extra mile for the French. I too want to start on my Christmas cards this month, and I even ordered some new paper -- like I didn't have Christmas paper in my stash. Anyway, when it arrives I hope that is the push I need to get started and finished in July. I haven't looked at the Summer photo hunt since I printed it out -- yikes, better get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the plight of seniors in Long Term Care homes was really brought to light during the height of the pandemic & lockdowns; a lot of that news was how sad & lonely many of them were & if my simple gesture can bring a smile even for a moment, I am glad to do my part. I've seen some really gorgeous new lines for Christmas but I repeat, I must not add to the stash, I must not add to the stash. :)

      Delete
  8. Well that will be a nice change for the old ladies and gents to get some happy mail from you. Well done on your cardmaking marathon! It must take ages. I think how long it takes me to design and print labels, and stick them on my jars, and how much longer it must take to do cards. Definitely a good idea to get the bulk of the Christmas cards done sooner rather than later. There is always so much else to do around that time - and I say that as someone who buys her cards (still takes ages to write and address them though!_.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dropping off the first batch of cards, I met a few of the seniors in resident, they were sitting out front having a bit of morning fresh air - I hope that the cards bring a smile, if only for a moment or two. I am doing the cards almost like an assembly line, I do 15 cutting of paper, 15 stamping outside greetings, 15 inside greetings, then assemble - makes it less of a task. Then I do the next 15 style. Plus I am pleased to see myself using up some of the paper stash! Now to do the same for my Christmas cards.

      Delete