Monday, October 30, 2023

Me On A Monday - October 30th


 Greetings & Salutations.  Another weather roller coaster ride.  We are seeing Ms Autumn's ability to switch & change within a matter of hours.  The "S" word has been used in some weather forecasting for the end of this week!  NOOOO

Currently Reading: just finished a lovely little book, Making Toast, by Roger Rosenblatt.  The real life story is about when his daughter Amy, a gifted doctor, Mother, & wife, collapsed & died from an asymptomatic heart condition, that Roger & his wife, Ginny, move in with their son in law & the three grandchildren, ages 6, 4 & 1 to help take care of them.

It's not a really sad story; he writes about how they as a family dealt with their grief & how the children dealt with the sudden loss of their Mother.  The story unfolded with some time back & forth of events, which was not hard to follow.  Sometimes that style of writing can be annoying, IMO.

Currently Sad: by the news of the sudden death of Matthew Perry of Friends fame.  Chandler Bing was a beloved character & his many one liners still make me chuckle as I watch Friends in re-run.

I am also greatly saddened by such hate & vitriol that is going about the world.  We need to pause & a few need to sit on the sidelines in a time out.  I'll say no more.

Currently in Training: I have volunteered to take on a few roles at church, one is being the greeter before service.  This role also includes the responsibility of taking the collection.  You would think it was a fairly easy job, but One is being reviewed in their service by a particular lady & she is always ready with her one tip of advice. LOL. I'm just grateful not to trip on my way up to the alter with the collection plates.  I've also volunteered to be a counter after service - this involves taking the collection plates & counting up the offerings (dollars).   

The reason I volunteered is that we are down 13 members that have either moved away in body or moved on in spirit & body.  Plus we have two Snowbirds  (these are the Canadian folks that head south to the US of A for the winter, usually to Florida), that leave Wednesday & not back until April.


So on to another week of glorious opportunities to be a better person, a better friend, a better neighbour ... I hope you have a good week.


18 comments:

  1. It's nice to read your Monday postcards. Did you also wake up to snow this morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully no snow as yet, but 3 days have possibility of wet snow flurries. Yikes I'm just not emotionally ready for that.

      Delete
  2. Hope all goes well in your volunteering roll and that you are able to graciously ignore a excess of advice 😉
    I think that many people are shocked and saddened by the news about Matthew Perry, Friends was such a popular series but it appears that his work with those with addictions has touched many people also.
    The news is just brutal at the moment, so much hate and fighting, it is hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking all the suggestions (encouragements?) with thanks for now. Hopefully I'll pass all the hurdles with approval (col). I came to Friends through the re-runs & Chandler was always my favourite. I hope that through helping others with addictions, healed some of his troubles. I am really limiting my news watching.

      Delete
  3. Once again I pressed enter too soon and showed up as anonymous 😆

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've also had some weather extremes this weekend. Fall can be strange. We may not get snow at all. We never know...

    Your church is fortunate to have you step up. There's always somebody who offers advice, needed or not lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the transition of Autumn to Winter the hard part, once we get "real" winter, I'm OK, it's moving into the cold, the longer periods of darkness (time change coming) that is a struggle for me. Maybe volunteering at church will help me with embracing the seasonal change - we can only hope :)

      Delete
  5. I actually shivered at the mere suggestion of the white stuff arriving with you - brrrr!
    Very sad about Matthew Perry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once our part of the world is covered in the white stuff, it doesn't seem so bad, it's the transition period that gets me.

      Delete
  6. Winter comes early, up there, doesn't it? I hope the white stuff holds off for some time.
    The world situation is truly sad. So much conflict, death, and destruction.
    That was very kind of you to step in and volunteer at the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully we haven't had any of the white stuff yet. November is definitely a transition month from Autumn to Winter & with the time change about to happen it makes it more of a struggle to embrace the month. I cannot believe how horrible the world is right now.

      Delete
  7. Tricky volunteering. When hubby dispatched Meals on Wheels it was most frustrating trying to get coverage for those snowbirds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would have been SO frustrating for JB as there were people counting on getting their meals. In our little church the numbers are dwindling quite quickly. I don't see our church staying open much longer, maybe another year or two.

      Delete
  8. I love watching snow falling, but that's as far as it goes. Hope you didn't get too much of the white stuff. The news form the Middle East just seems to get worse every day.
    There will only ever be one Chanandler Bong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Liz no snow in our region, but my friends to the north of us got some. YES Chanandler Bong. I cannot watch the news at all, my heart is so sore for it all.

      Delete
  9. Hah! It's only taken me five days to get here! It's been crazy, but that's no excuse. I loved Making Toast which I read years ago, and have not forgotten it. I just finished his latest book which was a real disappointment. I remember crying and laughing as I read Making Toast. I'm on a regular rotation as a Greeter at church, and occasionally act as an usher as well. It wasn't something I thought I'd enjoy, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know about his latest book, our library doesn't have & I was going to request an interlibary loan, but maybe I'll hold off. Maing Toast had a real life feel about it. Ushers! You must get quite a turn out at your church (col). I have enjoyed the greeter role, today was the first as a collections counter ... oh my, but I'll say no more for now.

      Delete