Monday, July 23, 2018

Me On A Monday - July 23rd



Good Morning All.  I'm going to start the day with this quote;
"life is too short to start the day with the broken pieces of yesterday."

Not a lot happening on the patio or off the patio.  We had some much needed rain late Saturday & all day Sunday.  No complaints.  Mr Man was able to get the fertilizer down on the lawns.
Amazing Grace - daylily

I would like to remind everyone that this Friday the 27th is our 2nd link up for the SPSH.  I hope everyone is having fun with the list.  Don't stress & how ever you want to interpret the list, I say go for it.  One of my picks this week is certainly not going to be a quality photo, but that's not what this is about.  It just tickled my fancy.

Sunday Gloves - daylily

I am experiencing a really dry spell on reading, the last 3 books I've had from the library have not engaged me at all.  While I'm not looking for sugar coated stories, I don't want such dark, mean, characters.   
Cotton Candy - daylily

Comparison they say is the thief of joy, but I am going to compare types of onions because I find no joy in red onions.  I do like sweet white & in particular I like Vidalia onions. For me it's got to be the sweet taste of Georgia's Vidalias ... although I have had some sweet Texas Vidalias.
Edge of Darkness - daylily
Padora's Box - daylily
I made my first potato latkes this weekend - wow that is a lot of work but oh my the deliciousness of fresh hot latkes.  Now that is joy.
Nameless (Spider) - daylily

Many of the Winter Wheat fields around us have been harvested, the grain has been taken & the bales of straw are read to be made from the wheat stalks.  These fields are part of the University of Guelph's & the straw bedding will be used at the university's vet college for the many beasts that are there as part of the school's patients.  They compost the bedding & after several years use in their gardens like the one I showed you last week.  A circle of life.
Harvested & ready to bale Winter Wheat fields
The field behind us has been ripening but not ready to harvest yet.  I hope I'm home the morning they start as I, like a kid, like to watch the big harvester do it's thing ...

 






12 comments:

  1. You must have some good garden record keeping to know all of your daylily names! Combining wheat is happening up here as well. Wasn't the rain wonderful? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was so appreciated. I do have several scrap albums just about my gardens. I usually keep the plant tags so I do remember them. I have often purchased plants based on their names; I have most of my family growing in my garden (lol). =^..^=

      Delete
  2. I favor the orange field lily, but I do love the variety of day lily types and colors. There are so many! I'll take a bit of that rain, please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orange daylilies are locally known as ditch lilies or privy lilies & some the orange is SO intense.

      Delete
    2. I've heard them called ditch lilies, too. I don't see them as much anymore, I guess because of development and maybe increased mowing, but they used to be common along roadways.

      Delete
  3. That last photo is a good contender for "field of plenty." Thanks for the reminder. I have a few more to share. Beautiful lilies. Some bug got most of mine while we were away. We were hoping for that rain, but yesterday's didn't amount to much. Tonight we're getting a steady rain---perfect for our parched lawns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get any of today's predicted rain, so fingers crossed that tomorrow we get some. Oh that's discouraging that your daylilies are under siege!

      Delete
  4. Mary Lou I have a good book for you I guarantee you will like it! It's called "The Heirs" (author's name Susan R...., I think). I enjoyed it so much I have requested her previous book, "The Divorce Papers" from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thanks for the recommendation, I've put a hold request on it at the library. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. I expect the combine harvester used for that is a lot bigger than the one we use here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from previous years that the combine used is HUGE. It's the same one that Santa arrives on in The Framer's Parade of Lights. There's a local farming agent that owns all the big equipment & rents his services out to farmers that don't own. Part of the co-op groupings.

      Delete
  6. I really like that watering can photo & the quote is wonderful!

    What a bummer the reading dry spell - I've been enjoying some of the Pulitzers I'm working through lately, as well as lots of others. The Great Alone (which I'll review soon) was a fabulous read right before we left for Alaska. (Just returned yesterday, so doing lots of catching up today.:))

    ReplyDelete