Monday, July 02, 2018

Me On A Monday - July 2nd


It's a holiday Monday for most of us in Canada.  We had some really nice plans for celebrating Canada Day yesterday but unfortunately Mr Man got heat stroke from too much outdoors on Saturday.  So celebrations were rather just me wearing red & white & coming up with easy to make Canadian foods ... not that there is really any specific for Canada unless you count Poutine & Nanaimo  Bars, neither of which I made.  At the end of church services we sang O'Canada although most had forgotten that the words were yet once again changed.  This time the change is from "all our sons command" to all of us our command ... I'll say no more.



My Angel Focus for July is Forgiveness.  Now this is a heavy weighted topic (for me).  I will need to re-read a book that would be one of the three most influential books I've ever read, "The Magic of Forgiveness" by Tian Dayton.  Spoiler alert; there is no magic to forgiveness, it's work!

My latest library read is called "White as Milk, Red As Blood, The Forgotten Fairy Tales of Franz Xaver von Schonwerth". It's a translation by Shelley Tanaka with a forward by Philip Pullan, who wrote His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass is part of this trilogy).

I came to White as Milk, Red As Blood when looking for a recent translation of The Grimms Brothers tales, (recommended over at Divers & Sundry) which my library did not have, but this one popped up as an alternative choice.  Definitely not for children.  
Fairy Tales have been buzzing on my radar since I read The Thirteenth Tale; the character Vita Winter says "Every happy ever after was tainted.  Fate, at first so amenable, so reasonable, so open to negotiation ends up by exacting a cruel revenge for happiness."  

It got me thinking about story telling,  folk lore & fairy tales - not the beloved Disney versions.  To me Vita's thoughts are on the lines of  "be careful of what you wish for, you just may get it" which was always said in that parental warning tone.

What's your favourite fairy tale?  Do you believe in happily ever after?  Do you think that fate exacts a price for happiness? 
Is there always a price to pay for dream fulfillment?  

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that your husband was poorly for the special day - hope he's rested and recovered now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. He is a hard one to keep still but today it was my reminding him to rest, drink fluids, rest.

      Delete
  2. Yes, what a shame you weren't able to celebrate as planned. Hope all better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The village fireworks were spectacular, so not a total loss of celebrations. He's feeling better & sporting a rosy glow.

      Delete
  3. So sorry Mr. Man wasn't feeling well for the holiday. Rotten enough to be sick, but on a holiday twice as nasty! Your floral shots are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I am not 100% sure that Mr Man really wanted to participate in the friend's family gathering ... I'll say no more (col). That rose is called Tequila Sunset.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear your hubby suffered from the heat. Sometimes that happens before we realize what's going on :(

    Thanks for the hat tip :) I'll have to look up Franz Xaver von Schonwerth, because I do love fairy tales but somehow have never heard of his. I have several favorite tales, including Snow White and Rose Red. I think happily-ever-after depends on your perspective ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are welcome S&D. Mr Man is quite fine now. I am a believer of happily ever after & I agree it's all how you view or frame it.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's a bummer about Mr. Man's heat stroke - I hope he's feeling all better now!

    I agree, forgiveness is hard work. I might need to check out that book!

    I'm not sure what my favorite fairy tale is … but I do believe in happily every after! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally believe in happily ever after. Forgiveness is a verb & I think requires almost daily work on some things.

      Delete