Monday, June 24, 2019

Me On A Monday - June 24th

Good morning all.  Hope that everyone had a good weekend.  Reminds me of the Dowager Grantham's question ..."what's a weekend?"
Source: Internet

Currently Reading: "A Test of Wills - Inspector Rutledge" by Charles Todd.

Currently In The Garden:  it's all growing quickly & some parts are over growing too quickly.  I have given myself a summer project of re-claiming, taming, bringing to order, one piece of the garden we refer to as the circle garden.  It's become a wild spot with lots of pretty but evasive plants.  One is called Lady's Bells, it's SO pretty when in flower & makes for great cut flowers but it's just too bossy & takes over. So I'm ripping it out of the circle garden.  I did transplant some to a corner of the east side of the garden, where it can fill it there & maybe grow out into the field.  The other is violets, they are just getting ripped/dug out.  No transplant for them.  I did have a number of roses in this area but two did not make it through the winter.  I'm not replacing.  There's still two David Austin roses doing well & there's one that is a rather wild looking rose.  I think it's the grafted root that survived not the intended rose.  I'll see what it does this summer before I decide.  A large deep rose coloured herbaceous peony is doing well.  The delphinium is coming on & the daylilies, which I really like,  are doing well - they'll all stay.
 Excitement:  We rescued a large, moss covered snapping turtle off the road on Sunday.  He was not very thankful at our intervention.  The towel is to put over him, to allow us to protect ourselves when picking him up to move him. 


I've decided for the month of July I'm taking a summer vacation from traditional Me On Monday posts.  I'll be back with regular M.O.M. posts August 12th as the first Monday in August is for us a long holiday weekend; Civic Day.  The Dowager would certainly not understand that concept of a long holiday weekend.    I'll be posting on Fridays in July with TGIF posts (Trusting, Grateful, Inspiring & Fun).  I'll be continuing with my Take Three Thursday, no changes there.


20 comments:

  1. Your garden that needs re-doing looks pretty good in its present state!! It's funny how we see our own gardens. Other people come and see my flowers, while I tend to see my weeds.
    We just saw a snapping turtle last night, coming home from a restaurant. It was moving at a fair clip, so we thought we would just let it continue. I don't know what it is, that some people think they need to deliberately hit snapping turtles with their vehicles. It angers me. (Yay for you rescuing that one, they can be a bit tricky to handle!) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I leave the snappers lone if they are just about across. Why would anyone on purpose kill another creature, it baffles my mind how cruel people can be to animals. I have one "weed" that has pretty pink flowers, I struggle with the decision to remove!

      Delete
  2. I remember Maggie Smith saying that line in Downton ... very funny.

    Good luck with your trip to the family history centre. I hope they can help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dowager is my most favourite character, her & Edith. So far no one is finding my maternal Grandmother's side of the family, it's like they didn't exist.

      Delete
  3. I think gardening is typically both gratifying and disappointing. Our peonies hardly bloomed at all this year, but the lupines returned and were lovely. They, however, are about done. The impatiens in our front circle aren't doing much but the same ones on the side of the house are filling in. Who knows why? I love your two Adirondack chairs in the circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My herbaceous peonies are about to bloom, fingers crossed all the buds actually flower. In this area, the flowering shrubs this year have been spectacular.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking lovely - mine has too many weeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Oh trust me there are weeds & plenty of them. :)

      Delete
  5. ""A Test of Wills - Inspector Rutledge" by Charles Todd" Yes! I love this series!

    It can be hard to get rid of plants that want to take over. We're keeping our violets, but I've been warned about them ;) I love that sweet spot in your last photo. I can close my eyes and picture myself there with a glass of lemonade enjoying the lovely view. The snapping turtle doesn't know what's best for it, but the rest of us will be grateful on its behalf :)

    Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on your recommendation that I got it from the library, I'm on the wait list for #2. I like violets but I've decided I'll like them in stickers or stamps or other people's gardens (col). You are most welcome to come join me on the circle patio ... We are only too glad to do our part to help.

      Delete
  6. Your circle garden looks lush and lovely, and those two chairs are most inviting ... We have a 'wild' rose that is similarly a sport from the original but I too am leaving ours to bloom - seems a shame to cut off all those rosebuds. I like the concept of 'bossy flowers'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back through my garden scrapbooks & I think I've found what the original rose was! I'm most hopeful to get some roses this summer. Oh I have several bossy plants in my garden, too many early & new to gardening mistakes ... some I'll live with :)

      Delete
  7. It's hard to know what to keep and what to compost isn't it? Sometimes you just need to be ruthless to give the plants you love room to breathe and grow.
    I can't believe you had to rescue that large turtle, I bet it could give quite a nip, no wonder you needed protection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share plants where possible. I've have given some violet plants away with the strict instructions no come backs once they take over! (col). Snapping turtles can apparently bit hard enough to break fingers, I'm not prepared to take that chance as a street legend ... :)

      Delete
  8. I'm sure you'll enjoy the gardening process and appreciate the results. One small light in my life currently is the budding up of some transplanted roses. I cling to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to enjoy the re-do, thankfully the rain has kept the soil fairly easy to dig & pull weeds from. I think I have one rose that should be transplanted but I'm afraid of it not coming back at all.

      Delete
  9. I want to grab a new mystery to start and come sit with you in that last spot. Your gardening knowledge far outweighs anything happening around here, but Mother Nature has provided us with on-going frequent rains far past springtime. So everything is gloriously green, and for the first summer in ages our potted plants have hardly needed hand watering at all. I fear that come next spring I will only remember how low maintenance everything was and will want to increase the number of flowers. Hubby, who primarily does the watering, will no doubt remind me of the facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne you are most welcome to come sit & read with me, will it be ice tea, lemonade or something with a little kick? I said that I would not have so many pots as last year - I'm afraid to count the "just one more" situation. I just keep thinking the joy they bring :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like the circle garden is going to be in much better shape after all your hard work! Hope you are having a great July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July is proving to be hot & far too many mosquitoes that don't care about repellents to work outside, I'm afraid the circle garden is on hold :( but that's OK because I'm enjoying the wildness of it rather than being annoyed :)

      Delete