Thursday, June 06, 2019

Take Three Thursday - Mind Where You Walk

In an effort to notice more of the ordinary in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.   The idea is to take 1 - 3 photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in.    What have you noticed this week? 

See what others have noticed this week:
 

 Maggie at: Farmer's Wife Day by Day
Melissa at Daily Life - Bits & Pieces
Karen at Random Reflections



This week what I noticed was all the flocks of baby Canada Geese.  They are everywhere & some flocks are much larger than others.

Recently I heard that because parent geese do not feed their young, baby geese from other parents wander into & merge with other flocks.  A set of parents may have really only hatched 5 eggs, but their flock may include many more young that originally hatched.  Canada Geese mate for life & both parents take turns sitting on the nest to hatch the young.  Both parents guide & look out for the young. Adult geese can be quite aggressive when protecting their young. 

In this region we are not in any danger of not having enough Canada Geese, so please mind where you walk in the parks.




14 comments:

  1. Very true, no shortage of Canada geese! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many are pushing for an open season on shooting the geese - I'm not for that, I'll support the oiling of the eggs to control the population.

      Delete
  2. It used to be that most of the geese flew by us on their way north, but for many years now we've had flocks of geese as permanent residents. Just a short walk from our house is a senior citizen complex with ponds. You have to watch carefully driving by as the geese like to cross the four-lane street with their young. And, yes, you need to watch where you walk in a variety of places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The geese in our area have discovered the golf courses as a large source of delicious grass ... I think the players have great issue with this - I've watched a few "dances" being done on the course as I drive by.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. cute now, but not so cute with the amount of goose poop

      Delete
  4. Yes, the geese are permanent fixtures. They sometimes bring traffic to a complete halt as the take their time meandering across roadways lol And messy! We do have to watch where we walk in any park that has a lake.

    I didn't know that about goslings taking up with different families. Your photos are so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I marvel at how many of them there are & how many dont' go south anymore. Signs are every where to not feed them to encourage the natural migration instinct.

      Delete
  5. That's a proper platoon of geese!! Funnily enough I saw a couple of Canada geese last night with ten little'uns swimming in a line between them. I wondered then whether they could possibly be all one family. On the Isle of Wight I saw some very young Canada goslings with their parents. Little yellow balls of fluff floating on the water! At some point I hope to blog about it. AT SOME POINT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the baby geese in the yellow fluff stage, I wasn't able to get any photos - I think they are so cute at that stage.

      Delete
  6. Cute photos. Are these close to your home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these & more were taken when we were in the "city" close by to do some shopping. But Canada Geese in the Autumn flock into the farmers field behind us.

      Delete
  7. Canada Geese seem to like the parks in West London as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Canada Geese are everywhere - it's like we exported them!

      Delete