Monday, July 29, 2019

The Salad Days of Summer - A New One

I was only just given this recipe over the weekend, I haven't made it as yet - it's on the menu plan for Wednesday, so I cannot tell you what if any thing I will change although,  I'll probably mince some fresh garlic rather than use garlic powder & for the cucumbers, I'll be going with English cucumbers.  For Mr Man's protein needs, I'll grill some extra chicken breasts on Monday, so he can have one piece cold with this salad.  


Spaghetti Salad

Ingredients
  • 6 oz. Spaghetti, uncooked 
  • Garlic powder to taste 
  • 4 to 6 oz basil Pesto sauce, extra to taste, divided 
  • Seasoned Salt and ground black pepper to taste 
  • 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped 
  • 2 to 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
Directions
  1. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions; drain and run cool water on spaghetti in a colander. Once cooled, drain well.
  2. Place spaghetti in a big bowl or pan; season spaghetti nicely with garlic powder. Add approximately 4 ounces of Pesto sauce to cooked & cooled spaghetti; blend thoroughly. Refrigerate. One hour earlier than serving, add cucumbers and tomatoes; add seasoned salt and black pepper as wished. Mix well ensuring all ingredients are included with the pesto sauce. Serve  6 to 8 servings.

"never eat ingredients you cannot pronounce, except Quinoa, you should eat Quinoa."







7 comments:

  1. This might be a bit heavy on the garlic for me. Still, it's worth a try without the addition of the garlic powder as it's such a simple recipe. I make my own pesto sauce and reduce the amount of garlic ... my body doesn't like too much garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may reduce the amount of pesto as I do use store bought & it can be too much sodium (salt) for my tastes. I may try making my own pesto. Would you share your recipe? (please, thankyou).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use this one but do change the nuts sometimes

      https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pesto

      Delete
  3. Now that sounds delicious and a great idea for a light lunch too. Why is it that I've made cold pasta shells in a salad before, but never thought about cold spaghetti? Definitely one to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tuna macaroni salad recipe that uses those little shells, which I just purchased as a last resort for the SPSH - shells. My fingers are crossed that this new recipe is a keeper.

      Delete
  4. I still have pesto cubes in the freezer from last year, but need to make some more soon. The basil on the patio is wonderful. I'm trying to stay gluten free. I've found some good GF pastas, but I'm not sure how they would be cold. Guess I should give it a try. I have a recipe for light pesto that's very good. It substitutes chicken broth for some (all?) of the olive oil. I used to make it all the time. Email me if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that you could freeze pest. Email sent. Lately the pasta I've been using is the Quinoa pasta because it's a protein & the body apparently uses as better fuel than carb pasta.

      Delete