Monday, January 27, 2020

Me On A Monday - January 27th

Currently ReadingThe Song Of Achilles - too early to tell if it's all I've read that it is.  I finished Dr Brene Brown's book, Braving The Wilderness on a low note.  In my opinion not one of her better books.

Currently Watching:  Sunday nights; Masterpiece's Howard's End & Sanditon, neither of which I'm enjoying but hopeful they get better.  During the week I watch a TV show called Manifest & it's in its second season & oh my I do like this; it's drama, a thriller, sci fi, mystery, fantasy  ... & for the Star Trek fans, Picard had its first show last week.  Mr Man was hooked even before seeing.

Currently Crafting three special cards.  All of them are for ladies at my church, a 100th, a 90th & a 70th birthday.  I have the idea pinned & in my head I know exactly how to create - fingers crossed execution is as easy as it looks. I'm making all three the same except for the numbers.  Shown below not quite the card - imagine the numbers are cut out & raised & stamped over.
 

Currently Returning milk to the store that I purchased from - the company that bags the milk has recalled all their recently produced milk products in Ontario & Quebec.  It has  sanitizer in the milk which can make you very sick if you drink the milk.  Not sure I want to buy that brand any time soon.
Currently Learning about living with coyotes close by.  It's mating season for them plus the animal welfare group want any sightings reported because the majority of them have mange, which is a parasite disease that is very painful & deadly if left untreated.  They trap & treat the coyote then release.  Earlier in the season I was part of the fox sighting & reporting group as they also had an outbreak of mange.   This young coyote in the photo below has what appears to be the early stages of mange.  Hopefully we can get him/her caught & treated asap.



"until human kind extends the circle of compassion to ALL living things, human kind will not find peace."  Albert Schweitzer




16 comments:

  1. I tried to watch Sanditon but gave up on it (even though I had read the book!)
    That's a beautiful design for a card, be sure to show us how your version turns out - I bet the recipients are going to love them.
    I think I'd avoid that brand of milk even once the recall is over - I'm a very cautious shopper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to shop around for a different brand of milk; like you I am too cautious to just go back into their arena of production! I've decided, even though taped, I'm not going to watch anymore of Howard's End or Sanditon, I tried but my time is limited.

      Delete
  2. I watched the first episode of Sanditon and then forgot about it (even though we've had fun reading it via our online/blog book club).
    We all watched Picard on Friday evening and voted it a success - Mr M is not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read Sanditon & liked, this modern adaptation is not for me. Yes Picard gets my vote.

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful card; I'm anxious to see your rendition of it. We once saw a pack of coyotes along the Thruway just outside of Buffalo. I've heard them in the wild out west, but that's my only experience. Don't think I'd like them in the area. We do have foxes; some look rather mangy. That Brene Brown book is on my unread book shelf. I'm sorry to hear it was disappointing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still a big Dr Brene Brown fan, it was just this book didn't have, for me, the grab her others have had. I think my family would keep her busy in research for years!. I've decided on the colours & stamp sets for the cards, now just to get several hours of quiet to actually create. I need the first one by Feb 7th. I so enjoy seeing foxes, the coyotes I much admit, I prefer to see at a distance. They are cunning killers of domestic outdoor pets. Thankfully my fur girls are strictly indoor kitties.

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with you on Braving the Wilderness. My favorite remains The Gifts of Imperfection and I don't think she'll ever be able to top that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes The Gifts of Imperfection was top & had a huge impact on me & continues to do so. I would pay to go see/hear her if she ever came to my area.

      Delete
  5. I'm unfamiliar with the shows you're watching but will check them out. I'd love to see Picard but won't subscribe to yet another service just for that :( Wow! Sealtest used to be a highly respected brand around here. I don't use milk, so I'm out of touch on that. We don't have coyotes in my neighborhood, but they're seen in more rural areas nearby. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of coyotes waxes & wanes, I guess to the rhythm of food supply and/or disease. There are many that shoot or poison them - all unnecessary in my opinion; the more WE interfere the more out of balance nature becomes.

      Delete
  6. Those ladies are going to be delighted with their cards - the delicate flower-sprays on top of the numbers is a lovely idea. We enjoyed Sanditon (though the ending is a little bit of a surprise). Ah, Jean-Luc - what's not to like? I loved the Next Generation. We're watching the new series here too - I saw Patrick Stewart reading extracts from Shakespeare at a literary festival some years ago, and he was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Jean-Luc, as one interviewer commented, he's made bald sexy. He has such a great voice. I done a few test stampings of the numbers & flowers, trying to find the right floral spray in my collection.

      Delete
  7. I am enjoying both "Howard's End" and "Sanditon". I love the costumes - I think I was born to wear those Georgian fashions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the costumes, I just cannot image in Canada what we'd look like with our big winter coats, boats, scarves, hats covering such pretty dresses. No wait, that already happens (lol).

      Delete
  8. Gosh no, that contamination scare would put me off the bagged milk too. Straight down to the farm shop I think!

    I do like your photo of the coyote. Good of him to pose for you like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah if only we could have milk sold at the farm shop - so many rules about milk production/selling :(

      Coyote daylight sightings are becoming more common, but the experts tells us rare unless ill. Coyotes, like raccoons are quite the adaptable species to live along side of the domestic human, they take full advantage of us. Smart beasts.

      Delete