Monday, January 06, 2020

Me On A Monday - January 6th

Good Morning.  I hope everyone enjoyed the first weekend of the new year.

On Friday  Mr Man & I were out for an errand or two & when we got back there was a phone message for us.  It was friends inviting us to join them for lunch at a favourite, Greek restaurant on Saturday.  Mr Man's first reaction was "oh, people inviting us to be social, what do we do?"  After I laughed, I said we accept as I thought this was a great Nourishing start in the category of relationships. 

We were quite pleased with our lunch; the restaurant over the years has changed ownership a couple of times & there has been up & down times on the quality of food.  But Saturday it was tasty.  I had the vegetable Moussaka & Mr Man had the Lamb Shish kebab.  We had a lovely catch up with our friends & because they need to be somewhere about an hour's drive west of us, it wasn't a long drawn out lunch - we have to start Mr Man back to sociability gently!
 
Vegetable Moussaka


Reading of books in 2020 seems to be a hot topic on many blogs.  I picked up an idea from Eileen, over at Bracelet of Days ,who picked up the idea from Mongan Moment's blog.  She's picked a topic for reading each month, which I think encourages us to branch out from our normal reading styles.  I may make my own change to May's selection, from sci fi to comedy.

January=Historical fiction.  February=Romance. March=Self Help. April=Young Adult. May=Sci Fi. June=Non-fiction. July=Suspense. August=Contemporary. September=True Crime. October=Fantasy. November=Autobiography. December=Mystery.  

Source: Internet
 I have four books on request from the library, & I cannot wait to get started on January's Historical fiction choice;   The Witchfinder's Sister by Beth Underdown. 

"a book is a gift you can open again & again."  ... Garrison Keillor

18 comments:

  1. I'm halfway through the Witch Finder's Sister and am loving it so hope you do too.

    I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with friends and hope Mr Man wasn't too stressed by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both very much enjoyed our lunch. Mr Man & I are both introverts (he much more than me) so small gatherings are best for us. I should be getting the book either today or tomorrow, looking forward to starting.

      Delete
  2. A theme for books each month is one plan I hadn't seen. Since I've committed myself to The Unreadshelf Project and belong to two book groups already, I have to pass on this one, but I'm keeping it in mind because I DO tend to stick to the same genres over and over again. Sci-fi would be the only one I would truly struggle with! Sounds like you had a good beginning to the New Year. We spent the weekend on the road and are now trying to get back into our regular routines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read about the Unreadshelf Project, but as I don't buy books (not Kindle either) this book reading idea I hope works best for me. I really struggled with getting something to read in 2019.

      Delete
  3. I think I'd be switching that sci-fi one too!
    Pleased to hear that you've had a social start to the new year - may it be the start of many such expeditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my Nourishing 2020 plans, I have a few more social together times planned ... I'll just not give too much notice so no excuse can be developed (lol).

      Delete
  4. This looks like it might help me vary my reading diet. Thanks for the link :) I need to find a historical fiction book fast!

    Your slow re-introduction to social events sounds like it'll work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the winter it is so easy to hibernate & blame the weather. I'm most hopeful this kick of a list might help with a better reading year.

      Delete
  5. An interesting reading list - no sci-fi, suspense or true crime for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried sci fi & it's just not my thing. True Crime is one that I would pick very carefully, it's real & would upset me. Your recommendations for reading are always the first place I check for updating my list :)

      Delete
  6. Always happy to hear of a new recommendation for reading. I am currently reading "Becoming" by Michelle Obama for my next book club meeting. Don't know which category it would fit in to but I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Michelle's book & I think I would put that in the category of autobiographical.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Fancy having to be sociable! I do sympathise! 😜
    Your meal looks delicious.

    Good luck with your reading plan. I've decided to join Karen in the Unread Shelf. Ha! Let's see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Moussaka had very few strips of eggplant, which is good because I don't like, I ate all of it & most of the salad. I think I can get Mr Man to be sociable at least once a month. As I don't buy books any more there aren't any unread on my shelf anymore, but I like the idea - good luck with it.

      Delete
  8. That's an intriguing idea - a theme for each month. I will be making notes! Writing down that title straightaway :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Witch Finder's Sister was recommended by Eileen at Bracelet of Days & so far she is enjoying, so I'm hopeful. Library called to say it's waiting for pick up.

      Delete
  9. Oh, it sounds like a lovely lunch outing! So glad y'all enjoyed it.

    I like the idea of a monthly book topic. I highly recommend not skipping the sci-fi - there are so many wonderful books in that category these days. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank is an older book if you've never read it, classified as apocalyptic sci-fi. It's Robbie's favorite book; he introduced it to me years ago & it's one that we both reread on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa thanks for the book recommendations. Mr Man has tempted with his favourite for the fantasy month. I guess that's what the challenge is about, getting out of our comfort zones...

      Delete