Monday, December 28, 2020

Me On A Monday - December 28th

 

Good Morning - I hope that everyone had a good Christmas, in spite of restrictions & recommendations to stay home. 

We had snow fall on Christmas Eve & it continued to snow until Boxing Day - a total of about 30cm of snow, it's very pretty & made for a classic Christmas card look, but now it's enough. 

Another thing we had happen on Christmas Eve day was a main water line in the village broke.  It was about an hour before the water was turned off, which in turned severely damaged the road. The power of water amazed many & thankfully the temperatures were above freezing. Water to all the homes in the village was not turned back on until mid day Christmas Eve day & the all clear to use for drinking and/or cooking wasn't given until Christmas Day about 2ish.  The road through the village is still closed until repairs can be made on Tuesday.  Not far from where the pipe broke is a bridge over the river through town & they had to bring out structural engineers to verify that the main structure of the bridge was not damaged by the water.  Thankfully it received no damage.

Ontario went into a fairly tight lock down on December 26th - which put a full stop to in person Boxing Day shopping.  Southern Ontario will be in a 28 day lock down & northern Ontario a 14 day lock down.  

I am fighting my own urges to follow tradition & have all Christmas put away for New Year's Day, but this year I think my mood requires a little longer for the twinkle & some lingering Christmas magic.  What about you?  Christmas away already or is it still a welcome guest in your home?

And now the rush is to New Year's Eve & New Year's Day, although unlike Christmas, no gatherings allowed.  I am not totally sad to say good bye to 2020, there were some gifts but this year is definitely one I'd like to see in the rear view mirror.  I know that not a lot will magically change January 1st, especially regarding the pandemic & COVID-19, but come on 2021 be the year to shove 2020 into our distance memories.  In a good way that is.


 I won't be posting any wisdom this Wednesday, so I'll take the opportunity now to wish you all a very Happy New Year.  Thank you for being here at my blog, I appreciate you taking the time to read & comment.  I raise my glass of cheer to the quick distribution of the vaccine & a renewal of hugs & handshakes.  Please, 2021 be kind.


A Happy New Year

Grant That I May

Bring No Tear To Any Eye

When This New Year

In Time Shall End,

Let It Be Said I've

Played The Friend, Have

Lived& Loved& Laboured Here,

And Made Of It A HappyYear.

                                                                         ... Edgar Guest 





19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a thing to happen on Christmas Eve! Thank goodness it wasn't freezing conditions and they were able to restore supplies in time for people's Christmas dinner.
    Thank you for continuing to blog throughout this very unusual year and although there will be no magical improvement on Jan 1st, I think we will all be pleased to see the end of 2020.
    Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give thanks for having survived 2020 fairly emotionally & mentally intact! I have great hopes for 2021. Happy New Year Deb.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for being part of our wonderful blogging community this year!

    A white Christmas! There was snow over Northern Scotland, but London remained cold and sunny.

    The timing over the burst pipe :( glad that you had water over Christmas.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was grateful for the workers that got the water line patched & flowing again. I was thankful that the weather co-operated & not freezing. I am grateful to be part of such a wonderful group of bloggers. Happy New Year Ruth.

      Delete
  3. The snow looks lovely, but I am glad that we only had flurries over the past few days. Yikes on the water situation on a holiday - no fun for anyone!

    Yes, I am itching to get the decorations down, with the exception of my village that I will leave up, probably to spring, based on the number of boxes those figurines have to go back into for storage. And of course, the Nativity stays up until Jan. 6th. We already did some experimenting with cocktails over Christmas since we knew the younger generation would not be back for New Year's, even though our daughter lives only 90 minutes away. Wishing you a blessed 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cocktail experimenting - sounds like a good N.Y.E. activity (lol). I've made a deal with Mr Man, decorations stay until the 7th, then away they all go, like the down of a feather, until 2021's Christmas. Happy New Year Susanne.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that sounds like a whole load of trauma for you all :(. Glad to hear it's being sorted. That snowfall looks very pretty but it can't be easy to walk in. We will be keeping our tree and lights up as per tradition until the 6th, so lots of twinkling to enjoy yet! You have indeed 'played the friend', and it's always a delight to visit and be visited by you too. Hoping you enjoy the next few days and look forward to seeing you again in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little village seems to a source of a lot of bad luck. We have several complete power outages a year, this isn't our first main water line break. For those of us that have either grown up in the area or lived here a long time, we now take in our stride but all the new residents in the newly built subdivisions are up in arms. They are use to city amenities & feel it should be the same in rural Ontario! Happy New Year Alexa.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! It was very white to the west of us, and to the north, but we did not have a white Christmas and there's no snow on the ground today. I'm not sad about it. Our Christmas is so different this year. Usually we leave right away and leave all our Christmas decorations up for a few days after we return, so I'm used to having them up for awhile. Like you, on these dark and cloudy days, I really appreciate all the twinkling lights. How awful to have that water main break, but thank goodness it wasn't worse. I feel especially sorry for all the workmen who spend time trying to fix it instead of being home with their families. A quiet New Year is nothing new here. I don't remember the last time we went out or had anyone in. A nice dinner, a fire in the fireplace, and I'm more that ready to usher in a new---and hopefully---improved year! May yours be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Karen. The road closure because of the water main break has provided endless photo ops & head shaking as the number of cars & transport trucks ignoring the road closure signs & when they get to the cement barriers have to either turn around or back up, on a hill.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about the water main burst, but, glad water was restored at least by Christmas Day!

    I tend to keep all my decorations up until at least January 6th! I enjoy seeing them. :)

    Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. May the coming year be a blessed one for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I am sure having your daughter home to send 2020 off & welcome in 2021 is a blessing. Happy New Year to you both & Dancer of course.

      Delete
  7. Your snow looks lovely, and I'm enjoying your photos in lieu of any chance of snow here. That's a particularly inconvenient time to be without water :( We always leave our decorations up 'til Epiphany and will keep with that this year. Cheers to a better year and an effective vaccine distribution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some rain, which is now frozen on top of the snow; with the full moon it is glistering like diamonds. Cheers & Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow - I'm glad that everything was sorted out in time for Christmas day. The snow is pretty, but I know it must get tiring when you live with it for months. Friend in Shropshire mailed me excited photos of snow at her house on Monday. We haven't seen any yet, but there is some in the forecast for the small hours of New Year's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have received notice that the road will not be opened until late next week (maybe later), more damaged was done that initially thought. The snow now has a layer of ice on it which makes it glisten in the full moon light, it's very pretty. This winter I can embrace the snow since I won't be driving anyway in it. I hate winter driving worries. Enjoy your New Year's Day snow :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have snow where you are. Not so here near Ottawa. It snowed a bit yesterday and then it rained last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And normally it's Ottawa that gets all the snow. Yesterday we got rain to freezing drizzle which has covered the snow with the prettiest of sheens - I want to try to capture the glow from the full moon but night time photograph is not a strong skill. It just might be "that's good enough" photo.

      Delete