Monday, January 10, 2022

Me On A Monday - January 10th

Good Morning.  

 It's been rather a crazy time since the 5th - lots of emergency visits to the different eye doctors Mr Man has treatments with; one slip of an eye clamp during a scheduled treatment cascaded into an emergency situation.  

Because of rampant COVID, only the patient is allowed into the doctor's office/clinic/surgery.  I've had so many hours spent in a cold car waiting for him having checks, re-checks, treatments, etc ... now I'm days behind in life & work although I am thankful for technology such ipads & cell phones that don't make all that waiting time wasteful.  So this is a flying visit with you all, so much to catch up on & only two follow up eye appointments scheduled this week. 

Today I'll share one of my photos for Eileen's Winter Photo Scavenger Hunt.  It's #16 - Half & this is half of a New Year's morning coffee cake.  The recipe is below.  

Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

2/14 cups (550ml) all purpose flour

¾ cup (175ml) granulated sugar **1

¾ cup (175ml) butter

½ tsp (2ml) baking powder

½ tsp (2ml) baking soda

1 egg (large) beaten

¾ cup (175ml) buttermilk or sour milk **2

1 -9oz (540ml) can of Apple Pie Filling **3

1/3 cup (75ml) raisins **4

 

** =  I use (1) Demara  sugar; (2) about 1 cup of buttermilk;  (3) cherry pie or blueberry filling; (4)chopped almonds

Combine flour & sugar in large bowl, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside ½ cup (125ml) of mixture. To remainder add baking power & soda. Combine the buttermilk & egg, add to dry ingredients, stir just until moistened.  Spread two thirds of the batter over bottom & part way up side of greased 9” (23cm) springform pan (I use regular pans). Combine pie filling with raisins, spoon over batter.  Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter over filling.  Sprinkle reserved  crumb mixture over top. (Note I usually add, cinnamon & nutmeg to the dry crumbs before sprinkling over top of the batter).

Bake at 350 (180 c) for 50-55 minutes or until centre is fully baked. 

 





23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the drama with the eye clinic sounds awful - and so scary. It sounds as if they have managed to resolve the issue so fingers crossed that this will be the last of all those unscheduled appointments.
    I seem to have missed the fact that there was a Winter photo hunt - that cake looks delicious but silly me, I saw the words coffee cake in the name and kept looking for coffee in the ingredients! Doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Eileen At Bracelet of Days is hosting the WPSH & I'm off to a very slow start. I agree we need to change the name from coffee cake to cake to accompany hot beverage as I'm a tea drinker! (COL).

      Delete
  2. Technology does help. One of my blog friends is helping to care for her grands for a few hours my teaching and entertaining remotely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my iPad liked the cold, it's being quite cranky now. I am hopeful that there won't be any more emergency runs & me waiting in a cold car!

      Delete
  3. Oh no, that sounds serious. I do hope that whatever has happened, it is curable and Mr Man can expect a full recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Unfortunately the condition that requires the injection isn't fixable/curable, let's just hope that the clamp that is used at each injection doesn't pinch or slip again, which is what caused this "that eye" emergency.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, how awful for Mr. Man! Fingers crossed that the remaining appointments are successful and stress free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how the rest of life backs up when dealing with unplanned visits to the doctor. I am most grateful that Mr Man could get in to the eye doctors & that their immediate treatments for the bruising have been positive. Unfortunately Mr Man faces a lifetime of eye injections, but "that eye" is holding now at needing only every 9 weeks.

      Delete
  5. Those words - slip of an eye clamp - sent shivers down my spine, so I stopped mid-post and said a prayer for Mr. Man that his eye troubles can be treated successfully and he has no more issues. The recipe looks tempting but we are just now getting the holiday sweets consumed, and I am trying to switch to low sugar carbs. Thanks for the reminder that I need to print the latest scavenger list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers Susanne, very much appreciated. The clamp keeps the upper & lower lids open for the injection . Unfortunately "that eye" has a life time of treatments ahead, but we are thankfully that the time between injections is now at 9 weeks, which means it is working but it is not a cure :( Maybe the coffee cake can be a treat for Valentine's Day morning :)

      Delete
  6. It sounds like y'all are having a scary time of it :( I hope all ends up being well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Things with "that eye" seem to have dramatically calmed down, so I am hopeful that this week's appts. are thumbs up, let's go back to the regular schedule of appts for "that eye".

      Delete
  7. What a pretty photo of your cake! Good enough to eat :).. So sorry to hear about the eye problems for your husband and all the chilly ferrying around and waiting in deep wintertime. Hoping a flask of something hot and a hot-water bottle helps, and that he will soon be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa. No drinks or I'll need the bathroom & public ones aren't open! I have the John O'Donohue Blessings book to read right now when I get bored trying to work in the car. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh no. Sorry to hear that Mr Man has been suffering again. I hope the doctors have mended him now! It must be boring to wait in a cold car but in a way I'm glad to hear that they are still taking things seriously over there. Things here are much too relaxed for my taste! I'm sure you spent the downtime wisely. Thinking of you both and hoping that no further "extra" appointments will be required.
    The cake sounds yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella. The surgery that was scheduled for the 15th is now postponed until the 17th ... I no longer write any of his eye appts. in ink on the calendar, pencil all the way. Omicron certainly has everyone slipping & sliding into what is the right thing to do. People are really loosing their trust in the powers to be, which includes the medical profession - it's a dangerous time when knowledge is not trusted.

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear that Mr. Man has needed emergency eye treatments due to a "slip of an eye clamp"! That really sounds scary! Poor you, too, having to wait in a cold car! Hope things will be better, this week. Your coffee cake looks and sounds delicious, but, I need to go on a low carb diet per doctor's orders, so, no more cakes for me for a long time to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you do need to follow Dr's orders. Maybe for a treat for Valentine's Day ...

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the recipe - it looks delicious! Hope Mr. Man's eye problems are behind him by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. The eye issue (thankfully only 1 eye) is an ongoing one & will never truly be resolved/healed - it's a case of being managed.

      Delete
  11. I'm a day late (again!) to this post, and very distressed to hear of all the eye problems. It must be so difficult to have one thing after the other to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This last bit of eye emergency really knocked Mr Man back, he was frantic when the vision was so impaired, he was convinced it was going to be permanent. Vision has been restored, but there's still quite a bit of inflammation in "that eye". It has been a very bumpy ride this last week.

      Delete
  12. I seriously hope, you won't have any more eye emergencies. God, it is so bad with the covid . Having an emerge on top of that is scary.

    ReplyDelete