Monday, January 03, 2022

Me On A Monday January 3rd, 2022

Good Morning & welcome to a new year & a new month.

Last year (2021) I did not settle on One Little Word (OLW) for myself but this year I've got something brewing about. What about you, decide on a word or phrase to guide you through 2022?  

On December 31st I was invited by Sandie of Itchifingers; 5 in 5 on the 5th fame, to join in her Zoom meeting for a Winter's Eve Gathering.  It was a most delightful hour spent with so many like minded ladies.  The big pond between us did not create any problem 😉.

Sandie had us think about a word or phrase we would like to use as a guide thought for the next couple of days or weeks & it was through this sharing that my 2022 OLW started to brew.  More to come once I've tidied up the idea.

During the early part of the holidays as I prepared for my 12 Days of Blessing, which was to start December 26th, but COVID's Omicron variant stepped in to upset that plan.  I had settled on the charity I wanted to spend 12 days purchasing 12 gifts for; I had chosen a Women's Rescue/Shelter as often the women & their children leave in the middle of the night without much.  I was making up 12 boxes of things they might need and/or enjoy having.  With Omicron numbers rising dramatically the charity asked that everyone hold off on donations of things & asked for money instead.  So I've had to have a re-think of my 12 Days of Blessings. I sent a cheque to the shelter & I'll keep my 12 boxes until the charity accepts them in the spring.

When I was initially planning my 12 Days of Blessing & looking for inspiration, I did a search within my library system to see if I could read anything about 12 Days of Christmas, and/or 12 Days of Blessings.   The search came up with a book,  Christmas Days, 12 Stories, 12 Feast for 12 Days by Jeanette Wintrson. It was truly a surprise find & one of the most enjoyable books I've read all year.  There were 12 short stories, some with an element of magic, some with a smidgen of miracle & some had plots of coincidence.  After each short story, there was a recipe of sorts.

Other stories I read during the Yuletide, there was The Santa Suit - from the first paragraph the ending was known (well to me at least), & it was SO sweet that my back teeth hurt, but in the end I shed a tear or two. Also on the Christmas line,  I had my annual read of The Christmas Cookie Club & new to me, A Boy Named Christmas (of which they just made a movie based on this story).

am currently reading Off The Record, a memoir by Peter Mansbridge (Canadian news icon); a little much to do about nothing. I am also reading Louise Penny's & Hilary Clinton's book State of Terror.  I know the Louise Penny fans are all agog with this one, but I am not impressed, so far.

In keeping with books, I'll sign off with; The new year is like a new book, 12 new chapters, 365 new pages & you are the author. Write yourself  the most beautiful story possible.



22 comments:

  1. Your 12 day project sounds more interesting, thoughtful and generous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. I have been very blessed, so called to share when & where I can. It's not always an easy choice. :)

      Delete
  2. That's too bad that your very well-meaning idea got thrwarted. As a Penny fan, I will not be reading her project book with Clinton. I'm a purist! Ha ha. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this joint effort, Gamache has a few mentions in the back end of the unfolding plot, another person hiding out in Three Pines. I was disappointed that Louise used him like this. No, it was not an enjoyable read at all. COVID has certainly taught most us about living with Plan B or in my case Plan G or P ... (lol).

      Delete
  3. I have the Jeanette Winterson book and agree with your comment about it. It was a happy discovery the year I bought it.

    I do like your idea of 12 days of gifts for the Woman's Rescue/Shelter and it's very much in keeping with the true spirit of the season. I hope it's not too long before you can give them the gifts.

    As you know I've already sorted out my OLW for 2022 and I look forward to reading about your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your OLW of Adventure is a good one. I was back & forth about a few other words, but I had to keep in mind that I knew we'd still be in some form of lockdown/restrictions for the rest of the winter, so I needed a work (phrase) that I could get t work with now :)

      Delete
  4. Your snowflake cup is a pretty one for January. We're having to alter a lot we do because of covid. Soon, maybe, they'll take boxes again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pretty snowflakes are a nice transition from Christmas to regular ... (lol). This particular charity group says March or April for receiving things again. I can add to my original boxes so it won't be a bad thing in the end.

      Delete
  5. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your OLW. I chose mine by chance in August, but have spent a good amount of time while on vacation at Sarah's thinking about it. I have a very long list of ideas, but no blog post has been started yet. Too bad your excellent idea for the 12 Days of Christmas got put on hold. It's exhausting to think how many of these things have happened in the last two years, and how many more may be ahead of us! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen & H.N.Y. to you & Tracy. I guess sending a cheque rather than things lets them buy what they know they need; I was told maybe March or April for receiving "things" again at this charity. We just got the list of restrictions for Ontario - big one is kids will stay with online learning for the first few weeks. No indoor dining at all plus a bunch more. I look forward to reading about your OLW.

      Delete
  6. Such a thoughtful way of making Christmas in your commuhity meaningful - saluting you from the other side of the pond. I've been following the Covid spread in your area and hoping the restrictions will help to bring the numbers down, without leading to hardship. If you're still interested in blessings, I can recommend John O'Donohue's book of blessings called "To Bless the Space Between Us" ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa thanks for the book referral - always interested in books that bring bonus blessings any time of the year. Wishing you much joy in 2022. The new semi lockdown for 21 days we knew was coming, how could it not.

      Delete
    2. I was able to get John O'Donohue's To Bless The Space Between Us - enjoying very much. Thank you again for the referral Alexa.

      Delete
  7. I have never been one to read much Christmas literature since the kids are grown, I need to put that down as one thing I can do next Christmas for a change.

    I too am fiddling about with OLW, but it seems a bit too obvious and on the nose, so I might have to either flesh it out or do something else. I am wondering what yours is, and if you will stick to it all year long. That second part is a lot of what keeps me from starting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Christmas I really needed some feel good inspiration & books are were I usually retreat to. I couldn't settle working with OLW last year, so I let it drop. This year my approach is different to OLW - I am not following Ali's formula to the letter (or is that word?) I'm working on yearly quarters rather than a whole year at one time ... breaking it down into possible doable chunks :) Come on join for the first quarter ...

      Delete
  8. Sounds like sending the women's shelter a check now and the boxes later will work out well for both you and them. :) You've been reading a lot of books! You must be a fast reader! I chose a word of the year; it's one my daughter suggested: resilient. Looking forward to reading which word you pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read a lot :) it's my go to activity when I cannot sleep & in the last 6 months the TV is off more than on, so there's a lot of quiet time to read. I like your OLW of Resilient & I look forward to hearing more about your success with it.

      Delete
  9. The gift boxes for the women's refuge is a great idea - I shall have to look into finding something similar here.

    Happy New Year to you and Mr Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. My usual charities are animal centred but this year the women's group was front & centre due to some unfortunate news we received of a women somewhat locally was murdered by her partner - it brought the whole domestic abuse epidemic front & centre in my heart.

      Delete
  10. PS: My OLW for 2022 has chosen me - more coming soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Boy Named Christmas.... the name itself sounds interesting and if they went ahead and made a movie, then it could be really good.
    Hope they accept your boxes soon.

    ReplyDelete