Monday, January 31, 2022

Me On Monday - January 31st

Good Morning Readers.  I trust everyone is doing well. I for one, find it simply amazing that it is already the end of the month, January 2022 already done & ready to turn the page to a new month.  Time is certainly traveling at the speed of light in my dimension. So let's take a little tea & scone break together, while I fill you in on what's been happening here.

 

Currently Watching: new to me series from the library DVD collection; The Village, Series 1. Not sure yet if I like, I've watched only 2 episodes.  Mr Man gave up after the first one. We also got the mini drama, Doctor Thorne, & we are two episodes into this one & we are both hooked, but then again unbeknownst to me when I reserved, it's a Julian Fellows production - so of course it is a winner.

Speaking of warming up to ... we are really enjoying the 2nd season of All Creatures Great & Small on PBS Sunday nights.  I do like the actors playing all the roles.  

Currently Waiting On: several book requests to come through from the library. I'm number one on the list for The Authenticity Project.

Currently Celebrating Mr Man Eye Update:  we (he) got very good news at Friday's follow up appointment.  This procedure has done what it was suppose to do.  YEAH.  The only bump was that we were not aware, but there's a part two of this particular type of procedure, but that's about 8 weeks away.  We'll take the break in the drama.

Currently Worried:  I've had friends develop COVID-Omicron. Two of the three (families) were able to get the rapid tests to "prove" they had. One friend called her doctor & her doctor said, you've got 2-3 of the typical symptoms, so assume you have & behave accordingly! Thankfully she & her family are moving through most of the illness fairly quickly & without any major upset.  Unfortunately one other friend is struggling with a nasty cough & shortness of breath; she's got to test her blood oxygen 3 times a day & if it drops more than 4 points, she is to get herself to the hospital. She has that little finger gadget that takes the reading. She's scared, so we talk several times a day. On the upside, she's young, she's very healthy. Her husband has seemed to come through unscathed. Grateful all have been vaccinated & boosted.  

SOURCE: Internet

Current & First Check-In Of My OLW:  First quarter word of Reduce. I am happy to report that so far this word is working for me.  NOTE: the above photo is not of my Reducing, it is a photo gleaned from the internet - I thought a good representation of my own process though.

First Up to be Reduced:  Mr Man & I have gone through all our CDS, sorted & put back into category order & made a large pile of CDs we no longer listen to or don't even know who or why we bought.  We are waiting to hear if a 2nd hand store will take the CDS & give us credit for future purchases. One CD that will go in the garbage is from a friend's wedding.  All guests got a copy of their playlist from the reception.  They were divorced after 2 years of marriage, so not a reminder anyone wants.

One area that I sorted & Reduced on was (flower) vases.  I could not believe how many I have acquired over the years.  In the end it was 4 boxes of assorted sizes & shapes of vases.  What I am most happy about this sort through is that I was able to find a good home for them.  One of the ladies in my bible study group has recently started her own floral arranging & floral workshop business.  When I called her to ask if she'd like, she enthusiastically said yes, helps cut costs for the workshops.  I like the idea of supporting, even if in a small way, another woman brave enough to venture into her own business.

Another area I have Reduced on, are 20 years worth of Gratitude Journals - all shredded & sent to recycling.  I cannot believe how much space these old journals were taking up.  I think I'll shred my gratitude journals every 3 years rather than let it build up again.

And the final Reducing area for the month was all my acquired cookbooks. Four I was a contributor to.  I wasn't sure how or where to dispose of these, but I read an online F/B post about an animal charity looking for puzzles & book donations for their fund raiser.  So not only did I box up the cookbooks, but I sorted through 2 shelves of old bookclub novels.  The lady at the drop off got very excited when she spotted the full set of the Twilight series & my paperback Harry Potter series.  She asked if she could take out of the donation box.  She told me her daughter is a social worker that is currently working with the Toronto Police Services & they had just "rescued" about 6 young girls ages 14-18 from a sex/human trafficking situation & the young girls, while waiting in a safe house, wanted books to read.  I was only to happy that she take the books.

So all in all my OLW - First Quarter Word of Reduce has been successful.  My plans for Reduce in February is to tackle more of the books ... Mr Man is encouraged to sort through his books with me.  In spite of years of "no buying" books, I still have shelves & shelves of books.  Some I will keep, ones like my hardcover Harry Potter books & of course I'll not part with my all time favourite The Thirteen Tale

I'll leave you with this thought for the week; " I am going to start talking to myself  the same way I talk to cats or dogs, hey sweet girl, what a clever girl, want a treat."

19 comments:

  1. Loved this post, and am so glad to read about the positive result for the eye surgery! My OLW is not reduce, but I've spent the better part of the last two weeks doing just that. It's one of the most satisfying projects I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I think Reduce will start to weaken by end of February, but for now I'm enjoying the encouragement from the word. I finally let go of my (beloved) university poetry & English lit books, oh so much shelf space! I'd like to hear more about your project of reducing.

      Delete
  2. JJ’s team had a game cancelled after one had an exposure. Their previous practice had been outdoors, so any exposure would be minimal. Still, it is close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When "they" tell us we have to just learn to live with COVID, I am hoping there's going to be some instructions. I for one hope that mandated mask wearing in public is the last of the restrictions to go. Hopefully all of JJ's team test negative & can still get in a game or two.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are enjoying Doctor Thorne, I liked it a lot. The Authenticity Project is also on my library waitlist, along with 2 audiobooks in a series I am trying to complete. I need to check out PBS and see what is currently running, because we have been at a loss as to what to watch.

    On the reducing, I think the books will be the last thing I would get around to parsing; although most of my cookbooks were donated years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know how I've missed Doctor Thorne until now, but better late than never. We are PBS East out of Boston, if that helps you find All Creatures. I did a little more book sorting this morning. Old university poetry books mostly in the pile.

      Delete
  4. I think you're going to enjoy The Authenticity Project!
    Pleased to hear that there was good news on your husband's eyes, now enjoy the eight weeks before the next procedure has to be done!
    Sorry to hear that you have friends with Covid and I do hope that your friend who is having breathing issues improves as every day passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Library website says T.A.P. is on the way, so I'm hopeful to get tucked in by Tuesday. My friend that is having breathing problems is still at home, thankfully & so far her blood oxygen is staying high enough to keep her from hospital.

      Delete
  5. There's that scone! What a lovely china pattern.

    I'm glad y'all got good news on the eye front. Hoorah! CDs were easier than LPs were lol, and I've only kept Christmas CDs. I tend to listen to music via Spotify, though I'm taking a break from them -hoping they'll do the right thing. I remember having lots of vases, especially bud vases, back in the day. It's exciting you were able to benefit a friend with yours. There are people who collect cookbooks, so I'd think they'd do well at charity sales. I'm sorry about your sick friends. Some people do OK with this while I'm hearing long-Covid stories from others :(

    What a clever post! Definitely deserving of a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the talking to myself like I talk to the cats is cheering me up today. I watched a special over the weekend about the re-hab hospitals just for COVID patients - OMG, it is more than scary, there needs to be more press about this & these folks aren't even classified as long haulers, just patients in recovery. I had so many cookbooks as I inherited a lot of them, plus it was something I was at one time interested in - now I just Google a recipe or look in Pinterest. The photo of the scone & tea is from a time when we could go out for tea ... soon again, I hope.

      Delete
  6. Great news that Mr Man's eye treatment has worked as if should, although not quite so good that there is a stage 2 looming on the horizon. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

    Your progress with your OLW is inspiring. Many thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Mr Man is feeling in a much better place & he's not fretting about next steps. I continue to be inspired by "silent to do's" & "tolerances" for what ever reasons, these two theories have kicked me in the butt to get it done.

      Delete
  7. Goodness, your word has worked well for you this month!
    I have The Authenticity Project - recommended by Deb - lined up to go after I've finished the rather good The Book of Lost Names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also read The Book of Lost Names, sad but inspired story. I checked, The A.P. is on the way, so hopefully I can start Tuesday. :)

      Delete
  8. Great news about the eye! Even if there is more on the horizon, at least there is light in sight. Great to know that your preloved books will go on to be appreciated in the days to come, by those less fortunate.
    That afternoon tea looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Mr Man getting that bit of good news has cheered him up so much. The photo of the tea & scone is from a few years ago, in times when I would gladly go out for treats. I think that in reducing my things I am encouraged to do more when I know that some good to someone will come of it, not just an organization that makes money & gives only a percentage back to the community.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, yummy looking scone! So glad to hear that your husband's eye surgery is doing what it was supposed to do, even if there is a part two! Hope your friends will recover from Covid without any complications. From what I've heard, if you've already been vaccinated, then, the symptoms will be mild enough that you don't require hospitalization, unless there are underlying conditions, etc.
    You have really put your OLW-Reduce to good effect, reducing your CDs, cookbooks, vases, other books, etc. and making sure that they are going to good causes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo of the tea & scone were from a time we could freely go about & find little tea shops - PC times; pre-COVID.
      My friend that is having a terrible go with her COVID symptoms, thankfully still not requiring hospitalization, but still quite sick at home. That's the scary part, you just don't know who will get really sick or not even being fully vaccinated. This quarter I'm still strong on OLW, I'm hopeful that I can say the same in July! (col).

      Delete
  10. How wonderful that so many of the things you are reducing have found their way to the perfect place for them. Your OLW is really dancing around in your life this month, isn't it! Your delicate china for your tea and scone is so pretty - looks like the perfect accompaniment to Dr. Thorne :).

    ReplyDelete