Monday, December 04, 2023

Me On A Monday - December 4th

At The Mall


Good Morning. It's all a go for the festive season.  On Friday, we had snow on the ground, very pretty snow. The kind that makes the whole world seem like a Christmas card.  It's mostly gone now, with the milder days of +5 & rain.  Makes me think more of a Dickens like Christmas scene rather than a Thomas Kinkade scene.

Currently Reading:  the fourth & latest book in the Thursday Murder Club series; All The Devils Die. Of all the books in the series, I am enjoying this one the most.  My Christmas book requests are slow in arriving to the library.

Currently Watching:  the start of season 8 of Shetland with the introduction of the new DI Ruth Calder played by Ashley Jensen.

Currently Feeling: like a pin cushion. We just had our annual flu jab & 3 weeks ago we had the most current Covid vaccine jab.  

Currently Wisdom: did you notice my Wednesday Wisdom theme for November ... silence?  

Currently Observing Advent:  This first Sunday is for Hope Oh yes, hope is much needed in the world right now, IMO.

And speaking of Advent, I have never seen so many varieties of Advent calendars, both online & in home. The variety of Advent calendars for adults is staggering.  There are ones for tea lovers, puzzle lovers, bath lovers, of course one for chocolate lovers. There's even one for Scotch experts.  Did you get yourself an Advent calendar this year?

And now let the hoping begin ... "don't lose hope when the sun goes down, it is then that the stars come out".


14 comments:

  1. The new Shetland looks good to me. Wish we could binge. As each new episode appears, we'll probably have to watch the previous one to jar our fading brains.

    Yes, we were given an advent calendar. It seems to consist of a chocolate a day. With no little grands hanging around, I don't think we would have bothered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is now an Advent calendar for any type of interest. For scrap bookers/card makers there are all shapes & sizes of empty undecorated ones to make. When a new season starts of a series we follow, we usually watch the last 1 or 2 of the previous series to get our minds set for the continuation, especially for ones like Vera or Shetland that are SO long in between series.

      Delete
  2. Series 8 of Shetland is still on the BBC here, so you're very up to date - I haven't got round to watching it yet.
    And a nice quotation to end things on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some series we do get right away, others we wait until the series is ended in Britain. I'm not sure yet about Shetland with Ashley Jensen. I try to remind myself when things seem dark, there is still light :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I'm liking this series of Shetland so much but still have an episode or two to go.
    No advent calendar for me, but I made sure our children and grandchildren had one. Do you remember when an advent calendar was just a door that opened with a picture beneath it? When did chocolate get introduced?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not grow up with Advent calendars, we had an Advent wreath with candles & a daily bible reading. Mr Man & I got an online Advent calendar about 10 years ago & we liked it a lot so we started getting & giving one out to friends. So I guess the online versions are more like the ones of old ... we have had far too much chocolate to use Advent as an excuse (lol).

      Delete
  4. Sounds like "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" in your world. Fun!

    I haven't started Shetland's season 8 yet, but it's on my watchlist for soon. I had the flu and COVID vaccines the same day and the RSV vaccine last week. I'm done for a while. We use the same Advent calendar every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for Shetland, introducing a new lead character into a well established series does take some time IMO. RSV vaccines are about $200 here, where as flu & Covid are both free, so the numbers getting the RSV jab are low. We normally do an online Advent but the price was Over $10 each, so we curtailed some of that fun this year.

      Delete
  5. I don't use an Advent calendar, but I'm working my way through two Advent readings: a book "Stay Awhile" which my study group and our church are discussing, and a wonderful digital Advent devotional that uses Mary Oliver's poetry from the SALT Project. Thus far, both are rewarding and are stimulating lots of good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must look up the book Stay Awhile. I am also part of an Advent study group, which is small, so allows time for lots of discussions. Each week we get a reading a day & then a question that relates to the theme of the Advent week. This week it is all about Hope.

      Delete
  6. I received a gift of an online Advent calendar from one of my friends - it's the first time I've had an Advent calendar and I am enjoying it, very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun; a little treat everyday. You have a very generous friend.

      Delete
    2. I've enjoyed catching up with your lovely blog: that's a great 'Currently' list. I've not watched Shetland (but feel I ought to!), and am reading a book called Mystical Hope - we really do need hope right now ...

      Delete
    3. Alexa always a delight when you drop by. I think you would like Shetland, the landscape is often a star character in each episode . I must look up Mystical Hope at the library. :)

      Delete