Monday, April 04, 2022

Me On A Monday - April 4th

 

Good Morning. Welcome to a new month.  I've heard through the poets, that April, can by some be considered as the cruelest month.  Weather wise that might have a sting of truth.  Daffodils & tulips, along with other spring flowers are trying to push through in the lengthening days of sunshine & bang, out of seemingly no where - snow!  

Currently Reading: Crown & Sceptre: A new history of the British Monarch, from William The Conqueror to Elizabeth II, by Tracy Borman.  It definitely reads like a text book. I have several books on hold at the library.  

Currently Watching:  I watched on line last Tuesday, the service of Thanksgiving for Prince Phillip.  It was a lovely tribute & I was more than pleased that her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, made it to the service.  While not a fan of Prince Andrew, I was glad he was there to honour his father.  When they played/sang God Save The Queen, I cried the ugly cry ... yes indeed, long may she reign. 

I did not watch the Oscars, but have seen the slap.  I'll say no more.

Currently Working On: my 2nd quarter's OLW.  I am looking for a Re word that would go with my best laid plans of wanting to wake from our COVID coma & get out of this lockdown cocoon.  I churned with thoughts of Recovery or maybe Re-new that would lead to Return or Refresh or Re-engage in the next quarter.  But like all best laid plans of chipmunks & women, the increasing numbers of COVID are making some of my plans moot.  Even though our Premiere has restricted the testing of new cases for COVID, the health boards are testing waste water & they confirmed last Friday that we are indeed in a 6th wave. Hospital numbers are rising.  Mr Man wants the word React For now Recovery is a OLW in pencil.

Currently Enjoying: this new to me recipe.  It has been deemed a soup recipe, but I think it falls more into being a stew. Of course if you like lots of juice, sauce, gravy, you can add more liquid & make it more soup like.  I change the chicken broth to veggie broth, & add the chopped cooked chicken to Mr Man's bowl.  I also add the spinach sooner to the mixture as we like our spinach to be cooked more.  Left overs are wonderful. I've made this three times in the last 2 weeks.  Several of my friends have also made & rave about it.

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

·         2 tablespoons butter

·         2 tablespoons olive oil

·         1/2 large onion chopped

·         1 cup celery chopped

·         1 cup carrots shredded

·         2 teaspoons minced garlic

·         1/4 cup flour

·         32 oz. chicken broth

·         1 cup half and half or whipping cream

·         5 sprigs fresh thyme

·         1/2 teaspoon salt

·         pepper to taste

·         2 cups chicken cubed

·         1 cup packed fresh spinach

·         16 oz. potato gnocchi

·          

·         Add butter and olive oil to a large dutch oven.

·         On medium high heat, add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic.

·         Saute for 5 minutes.

·         Sprinkle 1/4 cup flour over the vegetables and stir for 2 minutes.

·         Add chicken broth, half and half, thyme, salt, and pepper.

·         Add chopped chicken and bring to a boil.

·         Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.

·         Add gnocchi and spinach.

·         Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.

·         Remove the sprigs of thyme. Serve immediately



20 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds delicious and perfect for our changeable weather at the moment.
    We now have no restrictions, and isolating due to covid is now advisable and not the law. Are the general public the only ones who think that a rise in numbers is inevitable again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This side of the pond we have the medical experts telling us "put your mask on" but our Premiere is looking for votes in the June election, so that will override good medical science based facts ... people are forgetting that even mild COVID can have long term affects that we aren't yet aware of.

      Delete
  2. I still haven’t see the slap.

    You are quite the royalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed a royalist, born into a big family of royalist. It's not only the Queen, but I think being part of Britain & now the Commonwealth has helped to form us as a nation (of course not forgetting our beautiful French heritage) but given us the bases of good legal structure, parliament & the process of enabling new laws, laws that are not at the whim of a particular political party of the day.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recipe ... it's been added to my meal plan folder and I will be trying it as soon as I work out a substitute for the whipping cream.

    I could only come up with regenerate or revitalize but not sure that they really cover your plans for the next quarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a half & half diary rather than full on cream. Thanks for the OLW suggestions. This quarter's OLW is not settling on me as yet but probably because the social situations are most unsettling at the moment.

      Delete
  4. I live in Ontario too. I am extremely worried about the increase in case numbers. In fact, we have tickets today for an immersive event (paid for) and just said to DH that I think we should skip it. We have avoided catching anything so far so don't want to push it. We do still wear our masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jackie many or most folks know that wearing a mask helps & it really is such a small inconvenient thing, catching COVID is really a bigger longer problem that wearing a proper fitting mask. Doug & I are no longer friends! I hope you were able to get a refund for your event & if you did attend that masks were the fashion of the event.

      Delete
  5. I like Re-new, it being spring and a time of new growth, etc. I am keeping to Resilience. Our indoor mask mandates were lifted last month, but, my daughter and I are keeping them on whenever we have to go out or people come into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like re-new too. I am continuing to see most people here wearing their masks when going in to the grocery store.

      Delete
  6. That recipe does look good!
    I have seen the slap. Amazing! Then again, the whole Oscars "thing" has always seemed like a pantomime to me.
    Speaking of which, I'm surprised Andrew was put in the spotlight at the thanksgiving service. If it wasn't a statement, it certainly looked like one; not the right time or place IMO. Thought the service and sermon were very good though. I didn't cry at the national anthem, though I seem to cry at many things these days! Tried to join in with some of the hymns and got weirdly choked up.
    One Covid stat I heard here quoted 49%. Sister flew to Scotland today - heaven help us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Andrew's spotlight was the press making it a big deal, the rest of The Royals barely, if at all, gave him a glance. Andrew is one for pushing in with his sense of self importance & he still thinks he can "come back". I think Prince Charles & William have definitely said NO. Prayers that sister is safe in Scotland.

      Delete
    2. Can only speak for myself but I reached my own conclusion based on what I saw, independent of the press, much less the gutter press. The decision will certainly have had the Queen's backing; at best naive - again IMO. I too suspect (hope) Prince Charles and Prince William will not be anywhere near so lenient.
      Scotland's rates are even worse than England's, but at least they still have some restrictions in place, however (in)effective! ;o/

      Delete
  7. The lack of interest by many re Covid is terrifying to me ... I am still masking up whenever I feel it's necessary.
    That soup/stew recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ontario is starting to ramp up for the 2nd booster (4th shot), starting with age groups for seniors then moving downwards. I am impressed this side of the pond, most everyone going in stores are masking up. The medical experts are on the news asking me to mask up - no mandates though.

      Delete
  8. We're still on the west coast where flowers are blooming and temperatures have been very pleasant. Know it's been snowing at home, but hope it's melted before we arrive home tomorrow. That soup/stew looks fantastic, copying it to try next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope the vacation is everything you had hoped for. I think most of the snow in this area is just about gone, fingers crossed no more!

      Delete
  9. I've seen several gnocchi recipes lately. The universe must be trying to tell me something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that making gnocchi from scratch is easy, but I like the convivence of buying ready made. I've had gnocchi just sautéed in a little butter & garlic & even that way quite tasty. Yes do give gnocchi a try :)

      Delete
  10. April is definitely the cruellest month.

    ReplyDelete