Thursday, November 22, 2018

Take Three Thursday - Pure As Milk




In an effort to notice more of the ordinary in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.   The idea is to take photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in.   What have you noticed this week? 

Please have a peek at what others have noticed this week:


Maggie at:  FarmersWifeDayByDay    
Karen at: Random Reflections  
Miss Wookie at: Missus Wookie's Wanderings  

This week I want to talk about how many if not most Canadians are getting their milk.  We purchase our milk in bags - that's right, bags.  Although Canadians aren't the only ones using this method of delivery, but every time my American relatives are "home" they laugh & seemed amazed that we have bagged milk.  While readily available throughout Canada, Ontario & the rest of eastern Canada seem to be the provinces that truly embraced it.

1%, 2%, Skim & Whole Milk come in 3 X 1 litre bags.  It's great that each of the three bags has the expiry date printed right on it.  No more guessing or smelling!  Plus bags are easy to fit into the freezer.
A special designed milk pitcher/holder for the individual bags.  I've seen some pottery pitchers that are really nice.   Umm something to go on the Christmas Wish List.


One of the tools used for opening the bag, which is usually magnetic to keep on the refrigerator  - I use scissors, I have enough gadgets.
 
   
Yes, we also get our chocolate milk this way.  

You can read more about our bagged milk here:  Wikipedia - Bagged Milk

16 comments:

  1. Well of course we get our milk in bags! :) I've never used one of those little gadgets, always just a pair of scissors in the kitchen drawer. (Always an issue about someone cutting the hole too big, too!) Our milk bag holder is pottery - much nicer than the plastic ones. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to a pottery open house next weekend & I'm most hopeful she has some milk jugs. I think I've mastered exactly the correct amount to snip off the end ...

      Delete
  2. We get our milk in bottles, or large plastic jugs. You can get milk in bags here but it hasn't caught on.

    I like having my milk delivered to my doorstep and that they take the bottles away to reuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often see in my many Brit shows that milk is still delivered - when we were looking to buy our house, we viewed a house that still had the milk/bread box - the agent said most people didn't know what it was for.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure I've seen/bought milk in bags here too, but it's not the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the smaller quick shops you can buy the little cartons of milk but bags are my normal.

      Delete
  4. Never seen or heard of milk in bags. I think it would take me some time to get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of our unique, maybe even quirky, Canadian things - milk in bags :)

      Delete
  5. I remember milks in bags a number of years ago on general sale, and I've noticed that the big chain coffee shops have their milk that way. I buy milk in 4 pint plastic containers, which I recycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic bags can be recycle in some areas; it is one of the drawbacks to the bags. The milk board is working with communities regionally to get all bags as part of the recycle program.

      Delete
  6. I remember buying bagged milk about 20 years ago but it didn't really catch on here, I'd forgotten about that! We buy ours in 4 pint plastic bottles and then recycle them when they are empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Ruth, that is the biggest draw back of the bags is that not all areas allow recycling. Our community is one that doesn't just yet, soon we are told.

      Delete
  7. I don't drink milk and get my milk for cooking in powdered form. I've never heard of it being sold in bags like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us we use milk in our tea & when I made oatmeal, but I'm not a glass of milk kind of person.

      Delete
  8. OH, wow - I've never seen milk in bags.

    Trying to comment using a different browser - let's see if this works! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My American relatives are from California & they think it would catch on there ... they still find it hysterical when shopping for milk while here. Your different choice of browser seems to have worked (yeah you).

      Delete