Monday, August 26, 2019

Me On A Monday - August's Last Monday Hurrah

Good Morning Everyone!  Summer is quickly winding down & today is August's last Monday hurrah.  

Let's do a little catch up as August has proven to be a bit of a wandering off the path.

Cards:  I attended a card class earlier in the month & these are three that I made.  I was really very pleased with the way they all turned out.  Our card class instructor "cased" all from other Stampin Up Demonstrators.  Case means, copy and share everything, which is prevalent in the scrapping & card making realms & I for one I'm thankful for the sharing of others.




Reading:  Just finished reading, Bring Me Back, best book read in a long time. Not a scary thriller, but certainly an intriguing plot (thanks to Eileen for this recommendation).  Once I got started, I found it really difficult to put down & turn off the lights for sleep. Earlier in the month I read, The Last Romantics.  I liked, but not a happy book.  It was primarily about the impact of one event & how that spun to other events & the characters reaction to the primary event & life long impact.  Also read,  Leaving Church, ( thanks to Karen for the this recommendation),  which gave me an insight to the life of a minister. It had me pondering the question of when is it a good thing to end a situation, regardless of how much it is something you worked for & wanted.   But what has my undivided attention & of which I've read cover to cover, front to back & back to front,  is the Holiday Stampin Up catalogue!

Shopping & Gifting:  I've tried not to do too much (in spite of re-reading the holiday catalogue mentioned above).  For my birthday earlier in the month, I did get a new daytimer, one that started in August 2019 & goes through to December 2020.  While I already have my 2019 daytimer,  I'm going to use the tracking sheets from the new one for the rest of 2019. I find the tracking sheets really helpful.  Plus the cover of the new daytimer is in two of my favourite colours; pink & green.  And this topic spins into my next one ...


De-Cluttering, Sorting Project:  It has somewhat stalled for July & August.  We I did accomplish a lot of shredding of old files.  In the end, 4 bags of shredding!  I got through some of my closet sorting but I became so over whelmed with work that my mind heart was not in to making decisions.  I also read an article that said I wasn't really de-cluttering but rather I was sorting, tidying & organizing the stuff.  Maybe the article was right.  I'm leaving some of the bigger areas that require, must do, should do  decisions until cooler weather & when I have more time to do & I mean really to get down to the business of de-cluttering.  My crafting stash is neatly organized but it isn't reduced!   

"everyday is sort of like a jigsaw puzzle, slowly it all comes together piece by piece & in the end makes a lovely picture....Mary-Lou


14 comments:

  1. I'm firmly of the opinion that you have to be in the right frame of mind to do de-cluttering, if you aren't you are never as ruthless as you need to be!
    Lovely cards and that daytimer is very, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once work is sorted I'll have more mental energy to make other decisions. For now I'm managing with keeping things put away (organized).

      Delete
  2. I know that the "younger crowd" relies on their phones to organize themselves, but I am definitely an on-paper organizer. I have to have a calendar (or two or three) either hanging on the wall or in book form. Nice daytimer! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the phone calendar, it just didn't work for me. At work it's a real split between the ages, but almost without exception, the phone calendar folks tend to miss more appointments. Mr Man has to use an app for work so at home he's very resistant ... I like the journal type because I can decorate it (col). Do you have a class paper calendar for the students?

      Delete
    2. I can't get on with a phone calendar. I'm currently using a filofax week to a view and that gets me to the right place at the right time!

      Delete
    3. I think if you found a system that works & gets you to your appts. it's the right one for you.

      Delete
  3. Your cards are great, particularly the bottom one. I actually think sorting and tidying are valid pursuits. I have to declutter in tandem with sorting. Even if I don't end up throwing much out, at least I know what I have, where it is and why I kept it! No point binning just for the sake of binning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella. I'm finding that the sorting & organizing have had some good benefits, & one nice surprise, no duplicates of anything & no new purchases required! I agree, the de-clutter movement may have long fingers of regret. Binning isn't always the answer. A pausing breathe is just what I need right now.

      Delete
  4. I googled "Bring Me Back" and found so many reviews. I've never heard of the book or the author, but I'll be on the lookout for it. Thx!

    Decluttering is much harder than rearranging/sorting. Don't ask me how I know lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I need to make head space to actually make physical space. I keep telling myself how can The Universe gift me with anything new if I'll so filled up with clutter. I got the books through our library system (at least I don't have book clutter (col)).

      Delete
  5. Those cards are wonderful! I love those tracking sheets in your new daytimer. Who's the publisher? I have a planner I've been using for several years, but I'd like to take a look at this one. Haven't purchased a 2020 one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. This daytimer is much different than my norm. I got it at Costco. Andrews McMeel Publishing, 1130 Walnut St Kansas City Missouri 64106 & it's called posh Organized Living, monthly/weekly planner.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the book recommendations. I will look for them at the library. Love the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I got both books through our library, so hopefully yours will have.

      Delete